The fish tank is said to not flush with the stand if it is out of alignment. The fish tank must remain level with the stand at all times. Otherwise, it will become unstable.
With several new fish tanks, this situation can occur. The water will not be level with the floor if the tank is not level with the stand. There is a gap beneath the fish tank as a result.
You should address this problem as soon as you can since these gaps lead to several problems.
I’ll show you how to level the fish tank with the stand in this article. Continue reading to discover the reasons and prevention techniques when a fish tank is not flush with a stand.
What Happens If the Fish Tank is Not Flush with Stand?
The fish tank must stay level with both the stand and the floor. The results might be disastrous if it even leans slightly to one side.
Here is why you should always ensure that the fish tank is flush with the stand:
- Many places in the fish tank will gradually start to fracture.
- The tank will start to leak water if any fractures develop on it.
- The stand, the floor, and the other items will all be harmed by the water leak.
- The fish tank’s water level will start to fluctuate.
- Other than the cracks, one side of the fish tank might overflow and spill water.
- The fish tank might suddenly leak water due to abrupt fractures, which can happen at any time.
- Even worse, the fish tank might blow up, endangering both you and the fish with the shattered glass.
- You might need to empty the tank and refill it after adjusting if you discover that the tank is not level after filling it up.
What Can You Use to Make the Fish Tank Flush with the Stand?
There are a few measures you can take to make sure the fish tank is positioned correctly with the stand. You may have to pay for it. However, it is always preferable than losing the tank in an unplanned explosion.
The actions you may take to ensure that the aquarium is flush with the stand are listed below:
If utilized properly, a mat can level the fish tank with the ground. It also protects the fish tank and the stand from friction.
Medium to larger-sized tanks often requires a padded mat laid underneath them for additional protection.
Putting Styrofoam underneath the tank might not be appealing to the eyes, but it can certainly make the fish tank flush with the stand.
Since Styrofoam is lightweight and can move very easily, you should make sure that it is fixed with the stand. Applying duct tape or adhesive does the job.
You should also make sure that there are no gaps between the fish tank, Styrofoam, and the stand.
Many people suggest using polystyrene beneath the aquarium. Especially, if the aquarium’s base is made of glass, you should place polystyrene to prevent accidental cracks.
You can also use a yoga mat if you do not have polystyrene for a temporary solution.
You can always add thin books or pads underneath the fish tank for aligning it with the stand.
Although it might not be the best idea, it is always good to stay safe temporarily until you find a permanent solution. You can also place small pieces of wood, metals, or shims underneath the tank.
How to Level the Fish Tank with the Stand Permanently?
There are a few rules you should follow step by step to level the fish tank with the stand. Here is a step-by-step guide:
- Inspecting: To determine which area of the fish tank is out of level with the stand, you must first use a spirit level. Set the fish tank on top of the spirit level.You need an aquarium level if the level is not in the middle. Additionally, a levelling kit is required if the spirit level is unbalanced to one particular side.
- Operating: The aquarium leveler should first be inserted between the base of the tank and the stand it is resting on. Extend the leveler once it has been opened.
Hold the leveler near to the table and lower it toward the tank. You might need to put a shim under one of the stand’s legs. Then you must add 7 kilograms of weight to each leg.
- Placing: Using a flat metal sheet or book, set the tank on the bottom rim. Put the rim on top of the leveler using the leveling kit. Apply duct tape with the glass and leveler to any tight spots you find.
Put the leveler beneath the bottom rim at this point. Slowly lower the fish tank until it is atop the leveler. Roll it around once more until the rims are parallel.
- Finishing: You should wrap around boththe glass and the leveling kit or the leveler with duct tape. Finally, the fish tank is ready to use. Now, clean it properly and release the fish inside.
If you need a visual demonstration, take a look at this video from YouTube.
How to Fix an Unaligned Fish Tank Crack?
If the installation of the fish tank on top of the stand is not done properly, the glass is prone to cracking. The excessive pressure creates stress and ultimately cracks.
To fix a cracked fish tank glass, first of all, move the fish to a safe place such as big buckets or a bathtub. Then, remove all of the decorations from the inside of the fish tank.
Then, you should remove the old sealant and clean the area. Then, seal the cracks with a sealant that is fish and water friendly. You can use this product from Amazon.
- G.S Aquarium Metal Sand Gravel Leveler Substrate Spatula
– Forged with stainless steel for use in aquariums.
– Polished and resistant to rust.
- Johnson Level & Tool 7500M Magnetic Structo-Cast Torpedo Level
– Features a rubber magnetic working edge with high-quality construction.
– The 3 vials and top-read window make it readable from any angle.
- UCreate Foam Board, White, 22″ x 28″
– Has a smooth surface for placing beneath fish tanks.
– It is easy to cut and reshape.
- Aquatic Fundamentals Aquarium Stand
– Holding capacity of 75 to 90 gallons.
– Doors for storing pumps, filters, and fish foods.
– Flat surface for flat base fish tanks.
When a fish tank is not flush with the stand, it is mostly at risk of cracking. It may therefore shatter, shattering glass and water everywhere.
Therefore, you should take precautions and stop any cracks from developing. To properly align your fish tank with the stand, adhere to my instructions. You can also buy the suggested products if you need any.